Monday, September 13, 2010

204 - Bad News Bear



What misbegotten example of artistic flailing do I have for this, the thirteenth of the month, otherwise known as Ungood Art Day?  I present to you my Bad News Bear.

The idea was to make a Canadian aboriginal-style series of art prints based on the local animals and their interaction with humans.  I was inspired by the Haida designs, which feature symbolized high-contrast fauna.  Bill Reid, if you choose to look him up, provides one of the finest contemporary examples of Haida art.

Unfortunately, I neglected to actually look at any reference pictures, nor to learn anything of deep Haida graphic symbolism, or even try an Internet search for Mr. Reid.  I more or less figured that a heavy dose of sarcastic content would carry the image.  While the benighted bear thinks about fish, his stomach is filled with scavenged MacDonald's food. 

As I worked over the image, I had visions in my head of an entire series of animals rendered thus.  I was going to create an enlightened new genre, cross-over art that appealed to aborigines and white suburbanites, art critics, and of course, hyperironic teenagers with disposable income.  I even began to rehearse my acceptance speech for my upcoming Order Of Canada.

When the glitter faded from my eyes, I saw that I had been in fact labouring for long hours over sad bear here.  It might not look like I did all that much, but I did spend a lot of time on this bit.  It took me several tries to nail down the Michael Corleone pose "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!!" from the Godfather III movie, but in bear form.   And I came to realize that although sarcasm thrives in aboriginal culture, it rarely makes an appearance in their symbolic art.  For good reason, too: it makes for a very ungood presentation.