Friday, October 1, 2010

217 - J.B. And The Sketch Artist

Last post, I mentioned J.B., who mysteriously gave me a boost I needed.  Today, I'm going to send J.B. some fan mail.  Since I'm sketching, I thought I could use this piece for today's JSVB post as well.

Here's the finished sketch, which really only took a few minutes and is the size of a large postage stamp:


Since it's on a greeting card, I had one shot to get it decent.  Frequently, I will do a "thumbnail" sketch to see how to solve the problem of creating the final picture.  It's like a little stage rehearsal. 


This is the thumbnail.  I think I got the expression right, but the proportions and details are not there. 

J.B. is very musical.  She says that music is her companion.  That's probably why I am jealous of musicians.  They can pick up their glockenspiel or their ukelele at a party, strike up "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da", and then they become the warm and fuzzy center of attention.

Drawing isn't my companion, it's more like house arrest.  Don't get me wrong, I love to draw, and it's a big part of me, but truth be told, it's stressful as anything I've ever done.  If I start to sketch at a party (unlikely!), people quickly learn to leave me alone.  At the best, I make all kinds of bizarre facial expressions as I work.  At the worst, I get downright snappish.  No warm and fuzzies for the visual artist. 

Well, I do appreciate J.B.'s philosphy, I could learn from that.   I wish her all the best!