Saturday, March 12, 2011

330 - More Green Lady


And another attempt at Our Lady Mary.  Her skin is green from underpainting; icon skin has a greenish tinge to their shadows.  At this stage, she looks peculiar.

Honestly, I have no idea how this is going to turn out.  It's expensive artwork to produce with no real guarantee for the outcome, which is both tense and humbling in equal measures.

I decided to run a "simulation" using Corel Painter, which is today's post.  The idea is that Painter is fairly decent at simulating paintwork, but I don't have to worry about mixing and preparing paint, nor do I have to worry about drying times or imperfections in the medium. 

I can see now that I made mistakes, and if I continue on this path, I will have to make some big decisions on how to fix them.  I figure this is very dull posting for anybody not interested in the process of painting icons, which seems to be virtually everybody on the planet, and which seems also confirmed my ultralow viewer stats.  For me, though, this is intensely personal, and it's proving to be a project most difficult and consuming of what talents in the arts that I have.  I wish I could communicate that better, but all I have now is this enigmatic series of Green Mary's.  Time will tell if they decay or improve.