Monday, March 28, 2011

341 - Mary, Queen Of Heaven, Pt. VII


I am going to admit, every day I drive out to icon painting class, I go past the pub.  Every day, I think, maybe I will just stop at the pub and call in sick for class.  I don't know how Mary is going to turn out.  Every week, I find a new set of mistakes that need my attention.  Every week, I am faced with a new challenge to my skills, and being a clumsy painter has no advantage.  

This week, I added more bright colours to the skin, although we are still looking at earth tones.  The dimensionality of the face is improving. 

Next week, though, I will stop at the pub, so no icon updates.  Our classroom is booked for another event.  We all get a break, especially any secular JSVB readers who aren't keen on Mary's Mondays. 

The next step is to add some detail lines to the face, including eyes.  I may simulate this step in Painter, as I don't have experience putting down those lines in paint.  I've seen these lines in other icons, theyr'e called "enhancers" or "liveners".  They look amazing.