Sunday, May 8, 2011

365 - A Year Of JSVB Posts

If I had kept to my original desire to post every single day to JSVB, this 365th post should have been uploaded into the Internet on December 31, 2010.  As it is, the current date happens to be Mother's Day, May 8, 2011.  So I missed my mark by a little.  At least I can say "hi" to all the Moms out there today.  We love  you!

I have finally completed a year's worth of posts in 493 days, making me roughly only 35% overdue.  I basically churn out two pieces every three days.  Some are just photos, re-uses or the occasional quick sketch, but enough seem to be pieces that take up at least four hours out of every day. 

I decided that it's time to change my little JSVB picture, after looking at the Shepard Fairey-inspired avatar 365 times in a row:


My wife  took a tremendous snapshot of me out in the wilderness of British Columbia.  I used that photo as the reference to paint the picture above.  However, I used too many fine brush strokes.  When I reduced the image down to its proper postage stamp size, I ended up with a painting that looked like a tiny photograph.  I ended up taking out the fine strokes and adding broader brushwork to make the thing look more painterly. 

If you want to see the previous avatar picture, you should find that it remains way back on my first ever JSVB post, which you can see by clicking here.