Tuesday, June 12, 2012

600 - "Mother Of Tenderness"



Today, I've published my 600th blog post, another milestone! 


"Mother Of Tenderness" is a religious icon I painted in the Byzantine tradition, acrylic on gessoed wood with 23k gold leaf, roughly 8" x10". 

This is my second icon.  Unlike my first, Mary Theotokos, this icon has no permanent home and is simply on display until somebody wants it.  Interested parties can contact me by the e-mail on the top of the page. 

The name "Mother Of Tenderness" comes from the pose.  As far as I know, there are only a few orthodox poses for icons.  This is the only one that I am aware of where Mary and Jesus have skin-to-skin contact, so the pose is very emotional. 

This artwork features dozens of layers of semi-transparent acrylic paint.  The effect is a little oversaturated in artificial light, such as when the icon has been scanned.  The paint glows with an intense richness in low or natural light, and looks positively striking in almost any room.   

To see Mary Theotokos (original not available), please click here.