Monday, February 11, 2013

734 - "WOK!"


Here is the finished artwork that I started yesterday.  And seeing as I used up yesterday's JSVB Post to lecture on the relevance of staging a violent hit, I can't add much about the technique.
Hopefully, fans of Will Eisner will see some resemblance to his "Expressive Anatomy" textbook:  I lifted some of the pose elements from that.  If you're going to swipe, it's best to follow Eisner.  I did change the characters to make them look more like stereotypes.  I figured subtle characterizations could be lost when you're hitting people with cooking pots.
I tried to loosen up the clothes and make my ink lines flow more.  I added a number of secondary follow-thru's like ties, food,  and bits of clothing to make the scene more dynamic.  Instead of following the flow of motion, most of the secondaries point towards the action - that was a design decision from early in the sketch phase. 
As for "WOK!"... well, normally I detest visual puns.  I recall going to an art gallery that featured a number of pieces that were visual puns, like "Cold Turkey", and there was a blue turkey sitting on a block of ice looking with longing at a pack of cigarettes.  I just don't like that kind of art.  Except when I do it, then it's all good, y'know? 
For the rationale behind "WOK!" and a rougher look at the image, please check out yesterday's JSVB Post by clicking here.