Wednesday, July 16, 2014

985 - "Greta Job"

I have a bunch of these little illustrations of people in life rings.  I've sold them as part of a larger series, so I don't believe I have the permission to show who these people really are.  So, instead, I'm making the faces anonymous and I am giving each of them a name and background story suitable for a pulp spy novel:

NAME: GRETA JOB
OCCUPATION:  INTERNAL SECRETARY FOR THE SUB-MINISTRY

Grant looked over the files in the docket with the emerald-green Ministry stamp.  

"Is this all we have on Dr. Lucius Wolverine?" he demanded, perhaps a little too sharp.  The bark in his voice made an unpleasant echo in the small office.

Greta was apologetic. "This is all we have from Station C for Cairo, after the fire."  

Grant scowled: "First the prototype goes missing and then the inventor, and now even our files on the whole damned project go up in smoke.  It looks like someone is cleaning up every trace of the PLUM Bomb.  Well, you'd better book me a flight to Egypt, Miss Job."

Greta handed Grant a paper folder with the elegant Emirates logo embossed in gold.  "You're in First Class, Grant, on the eight o'clock direct."

A smile played across Grant's hard face as he leaned across Greta's desk to kiss her chaste cheek.  "You're in First Class, my dear," he said, "Thank you for this."

"Watch out Grant, it could be a trap."

"It always is."

- excerpt from the novel "A Spy Too Far"