Thursday, October 13, 2016

1291 - "The Agony Booth"


So: explanations.

Today is Ungood Art Day on JSVB.  On the thirteenth day of every month, I post a piece of art that I made that started out well but somehow went Ungood.  Every artist has their off-days, but not many of us will make a showcase out of them.  

I have a very rare video of Ungood Art, although not so rare if you take into account all of the footage of me I've ever made in front of a camera.  I am a terrible actor, and I tend to look like a foolish idiot on screen.  It's much rarer that I appear rational and nonchalant, so that's why I seldom allow have any footage of myself to be made available.  

Not long ago, I brought my wife and my brother-in-law to the big Star Trek exhibit at the Museum of Science Fiction in Seattle, a great show for geeks like me.  At the museum, they have a video booth with a display and a camera that intercuts the viewer into the famous scene in Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan (1982) where Kirk become hopelessly trapped by his nemesis Khan.  Or as we all know it: "Kha-a-a-a-a-n-n-n!!!".  What happens in the booth is you see the scene as it was played out in the movie, and then you see the scene again except you the viewer are spliced seamlessly into the event, completely replacing Kirk.  It's pretty funny, since afterwards as you stroll through the museum periodically you'll hear the bloodcurdling scream of a man, woman, or child calling out Khan's name.  

This video depicts my attempt to supplant William Shatner.  It's small and kind of fuzzy since my wife graciously shot what she saw on the television screen.  The audio is also a little off, and I blame technology and human civilization before I would call into question my ability to act on cue.  

Ladies and gentlemen, I present my turn in the Agony Booth: