Thursday, April 13, 2017

1362 - "Destroy Planet"


Hello, and welcome to Ungood Art Day on JSVB.  Ungood Art Day is where I post some piece of my artwork that started out with Good intentions, but the final execution turned out to be Ungood. Every artist goes through phases where their art simply misses the mark, and on the thirteenth day of each month, I post mine on my blog. 

In this picture, which I am calling "Destroy Planet", the final outcome was what I wanted so this is one of those pieces where the theme ends up being the Ungood feature.  

Last month, for JSVB Post #I353 (click here to see it!) I was researching old-time computers.   There were many pictures of people dressed in lab coats tending to tabernacle-style banks of electronics the same way a priest or a rabbi would approach an altar.  One old photograph showed two Japanese technicians simply standing and watching what appears to be the main display board for a German-designed power plant out of the 1960's.  There are no furnishings or human comforts, just concrete and massive box-like computers.  The lighting looks artificial; there are no windows.  The lights appear to have been set close to the floor, casting eldritch shadows on the reinforced ceiling. 

In the negative space between the technicians and their computer, I sensed there needed to be something.  The past couple of weeks I've been getting less and less sleep and I have been in a foul mood.  So I saw Death in the empty space, and I decided to draw just that.   It's the least Ungood of the variant artworks I had planned for today, and I guess the least bleak as well.  Easter is around the corner, after all.