Thursday, February 15, 2018

1476 - Little Sign Of Horrors

So my wife is becoming more interested in making crafts.  She is swift at crochet.  Now she wants to make miniatures, and to help her out I bought some tiny tools she can use to make interesting projects.  

"I want to make this (a recreation of the infamous advertisement featuring the nefarious Saskatchewan Roughriders football team that had been placed next to the sublime home stadium of our courageous BC Lions) into a billboard for our friend Ted's N-gauge railroad," she says.



"Engage N-gauge!" I reply.  "If you build the billboard, I'll do the graphic so it can be printed properly."

So she made the billboard, and did an amazing job!  It's 1½ inches long and including the supports about that high as well.  She made it out of popsicle sticks and balsa wood.  The image I had to work from had vertical slats that detracted from image quality, so I decided to fabricate a new one.  The pretty girl model had a number of poses online, so I chose one and sampled the typefaces and colours used in the original.  This is what I made:


Then we cut out the image and pasted it onto the billboard.  It was a true husband-wife collaboration!  I thought the billboard would look more realistic with lights, so I snipped some wire paperclips and dabbed glue onto the ends to make bulbs.  When the glue was dry, I added a touch of silver Sharpie ink. 



  And that's the whose sordid story of how a couple of BC Lions season ticket holders ended up with a Saskatchewan Roughriders billboard in miniature.  Later on this year, we'll discuss how those same Lions went on to win the 2018 Grey Cup!